Re: lc-2954

From: Ramón Corominas <rcorominas@technosite.es>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 18:58:45 +0200
To: adam.solomon2@gmail.com
CC: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, James Nurthen <james.nurthen@oracle.com>, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Adam wrote:

 > -there is no failure for 4.1.2 in a case
 > where there is no visible label and no
 > programmatic label, i.e. in a case where
 > there is a control with no label whatsoever
 > (as can happen with a select where the items
 > in the select list give the user an idea what
 > to choose from). If the group feels that this
 > is in fact a failure, then would it be possible
 > to include such a failure of 4.1.2 in F68 (in
 > which case we would need to split the test
 > procedure between visible labels and cases
 > where there is no label at all, and instances
 > where only 4.1.2 is violated to instances
 > where 1.3.1 is also violated). Or, is this
 > use case not a failure at all, since all
 > users are at the same disadvantage when
 > no visible label is provided.

I've always understood that a programmatically determinable name is
required as per 1.1.1 and 4.1.2:

"- Controls, Input: If non-text content is a control or accepts user
input, then it has a name that describes its purpose. (Refer to
Guideline 4.1 for additional requirements for controls and content that
accepts user input.)"

I don't think that we can accept the contents of the field as an
"implicit" label, it sounds to me like saying that the file name of a
JPG can be used as the alternative text for an image.

Cheers,
Ramón.