Re: WG discussion: Nov 5, 2013: role=group technique

Hello Joshue,
>> I think Kathys comment is a fair observation, unless it is a common pattern. Maybe >>we need a third example which uses the neutral <div> elements also. This would also >>help to highlight the use of the ARIA grouping roles without any potential confusion >>over whether 'this element is valid on a table or not'.
I do not see where you see potential confusion. This example also
demonstrates correct use of role=presentation and the dtechnique
documentation does state the role=group technique is suitable when
fieldset-legend method cannot be used due to some UI design
constraints.   This is valid code so it is not fair for one to wonder
if  role=group is valid in a table. In fact it is valid even without
role=presentation. This is again a case of one reading  something into
the specs when the specs do not say so at all.
If someone has a personal preference in the matter i.e. whether to use
role=group in a table or not, it is a different matter.
I have seen multiple situations where developers cannot change the
design  where a form is in a table and are unable to use
fieldset-legend to group  related controls. The technique that was
first submitted correctly reflected this in its title:
"Marking logical group of fields using role=group / role=radiogroup
when using fieldset-legend is not practical"
Maybe that should be reinstated?

Sure one can use  role=group/radiogroup if one codes custom form
controls that cannot be labeled without ARIA or grouped with
fieldset-legend are still in a table-less container. Perhaps someone
might take an action item to create 'Example 3' for that situation.
 Regards,
Sailesh Panchang