Re: WG discussion: Nov 5, 2013: role=group technique

Sailesh Panchang wrote:
> Refer: Using the group role to identify related form controls
> WG call of Nov 5, 2013 discussions
[...]
> Sailesh response: I changed the role=group to role=radiogroup.
> The reason I had used role=group  was because the validator gave a weird error from the time I first used this technique in Spring 2012  till recently:
> - radiogroup must only have radio element in it.
> I discovered this was because of the span element for the aria-labelledby text.
> Looks that validator bug is now fixed!

Great stuff, thanks Sailesh.

> The technique as documented suggests its use for standard HTML controls when there are constraints on use of fieldset-legend.
> That's why it is in a layout table (as you did note the use of role=presentation).

Ok, thanks. If this is the case, then there needs to be a brief summary
of the use case in the "Example 2" overview - as this isn't currently clear.

> Using DIVs will need CSS to maintain presentation format  which is the illustrative constraint here.

Thats fine.

> Also see the text above the example  in section 7 of
> http://mars.dequecloud.com/demo/form-markup.htm
[...]
> So it is not appropriate to replace the table with DIVs in this example .
> Stating 'I do not like the use of group in a TD'  is a weak argument when the code is valid, properly uses role=presentation, the method is AT supported and the reason for the markup is documented.

I think Kathys comment is a fair observation, unless it is a common
pattern. Maybe we need a third example which uses the neutral <div>
elements also. This would also help to highlight the use of the ARIA
grouping roles without any potential confusion over whether 'this
element is valid on a table or not'.

Thanks

Josh