From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Chris Ridpath
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2006 9:07 AM
To: WCAG
Subject: Technique Designations

I've been reading the "understanding" and "technique" documents and think I
get the technique designations.

As I understand it, there are 3 types of techniques:

1) Sufficient - Are the numbered techniques in the "techniques for
addressing" section of each SC. If followed your content will meet SC. You
may have to use more than one "sufficient" tech to meet SC. If not followed
then you've got to use another technique (outside the listed techniques and
not one of the "common failures") to meet SC.

2) Advisory - Do not fall under a SC but are assigned to a guideline. Not
"required" or "sufficient". Affect accessibility. Not assigned a level.

3) Common Failures - If this technique is used then you do not meet the SC.

Required - I've seen the word "required" several times applied to the
technique process but there are no techniques designated as "required".

I've also seen the word "necessary" (on the mailing list) applied to
techniques. I think this is just an oversight as there don't seem to be any
"necessary" techniques.

Does that look about right?

Chris