RE: Navigational features

Bruce writes that the term "programmatically determined" is very
difficult to understand, and that having to refer repeatedly to the
Glossary interrupts the flow of reading the Guidelines:

And it is a fine definition.  That is *not* the problem.

[Gregg writes:]
> It is a rather important definition and a term specific to this work.

[and Bruce resumes:]
Understood.  The problem is that the term is used so frequently and so
particularly that even after repeated trips to the glossary the phrase
interrupts naturally reading of success criteria.  I honestly believe
that replacing "programmatically determined" with "marklar" would be an
improvement -- readers would not be fooled into thinking they understood
what was meant.

For what it's worth, the term "programmatically determined" appears in
the following 10 success criteria:

- 1.3.1 (perceivable structures within the content can be
programmatically determined)
-1.3.2 When information is conveyed  by color, the color can be
programmatically determined or the information is also conveyed by
another means that does not depend on the user's ability to
differentiate colors.
-1.3.3 Information that is conveyed by variations in presentation of
text is also conveyed in text or the variations in presentation of text
can be programmatically determined
- 1.3.5 When content is arranged in a sequence that affects its meaning,
that sequence can be programmatically determined.
2.4.1 Navigational features within the content can be programmatically
determined.
- 3.1.1 The primary natural language or languages of the delivery ynit
can be programmatically determined.
-3.1.2 - The natural language of each foreign  passage or phrase in the
content can be programmatically determined.
- 4.2.3 The role, state, and value can be programmatically determined
for every user interface component of the web content that accepts input
from the user
- 4.2.4 The label of each user interface control that accepts input from
the user can be programmatically determined and is explicitly associated
with the
control.
- 4.2.6 Changes to content, structure, selection, focus, attributes,
values, state, and relationships can be programmatically determined.

In 7 of the 10 success criteria listed above, "programmatically
determined" comes at the end of the sentence. In these cases, the phrase
"programmatically determined" *could* be replaced by the definition
without any other change to the success criterion. This would add a
total of 91 words to the Guidelines.
In the other three success criteria listed above, the phrase
"programmatically determined" occurs in the interior of the sentence. We
would probably have to rewrite the sentence in order to use the
definition instead of the phrase "programmatically determined."

This would be easy for 4.2.4 (we could change it to read:
- 4.2.4 The label of each user interface control that accepts input from
the user is explicitly associated with the
control and can be programmatically determined.  This would allow
replacement of "programmatically determined" with the definition)

It would be a little trickier for the other two.

Bruce, would this sort of edit address your concerns? There *would* be a
tradeoff-- the Guidelines document would become somewhat longer (though
the additional words would be diispersed through the document rather
than being concentrated in one place).

Thanks.
John

Dr. John M. Slatin, Director