RE: DHTML Accessibility - Fixing the JavaScript Accessibility Problem

Great questions Roberto.

1. User Agent and device support

If the web application developer *wishes to support* a platform which does
not have JavaScript then they will have to provide alternative content.
Again, it will be up to the web application author to make this decision.
This problem exist today for more than just JavaScript. For example, each
browser has different levels of CSS support and the author will need to
plan for the discrepancies among user agents. Microsoft has not updated
their CSS support and it is incredibly outdated at this point. This limits
what you can do on IE translating to more work on the web application
developer.

When IBM targets platforms to deliver web applications they have to look at
their HTML, CSS, JavaScript, DOM support, device capabilities, etc. User
Agent support of EcmaScript certainly makes the JavaScript portability
problem less - but all are factors. In most cases, determining the level of
support by a user agent can be done by examining the requester's user agent
information from the request header. At the server, there are many
decisions made before the actual content is sent to the user agent. Not
that this is the case for you but there has often been a misconception that
this is only a JavaScript issue.

We will discuss in the presentation on how we will require less JavaScript
in the future through the introduction of declarative markup and new W3C
standards.

2. Accessibility API support

This is another terrific question. As you will experience in this
presentation, it is up to the W3C to provide the content which can support
the accessibility api on the platform. What we have done in this effort is
add additional meta data to the web content to allow the author to provide
information needed to support the accessibility API on the platform. From a
W3C user agent perspective this information is provided in the Document
Object Model so that an assistive technology may use the information
directly or so that the User Agent may take the information and map it to
the Accessibility API on the platform. As part of this work we did an
assessment of Gnome and Windows accessibility information and provided meta
data in the the web content to that these APIs may be supported by the user
agent. In our example we have Firefox mapping this information to the MSAA
on Windows. As a result we were immediately able to drive the Windows
magnifier. We also have Window-Eyes responding to and reading information
in the web page as if it were an actual accessible GUI application on
Windows. These new custom web widgets actuall behave like you would expect
in a gui raising the usability and "ease-of-access."

Cheers,
Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
STSM, Software Group Accessibility Strategist/Master Inventor
Emerging Internet Technologies
Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review  Board
blog: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=441
schwer@us.ibm.com, Phone: 512-838-4593,T/L: 678-4593

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.",
Frost

             "Roberto Scano
             (IWA/HWG)"
             <rscano@iwa-italy                                          To
             .org>                     Richard
                                       Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
             03/09/2005 03:56          <techlunch@smartgroups.com>,
             PM                        <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: DHTML Accessibility - Fixing
                                       the JavaScript Accessibility
                                       Problem

Great. There will be a demo-page?
What about alternative versions for no-js browser (like my pocketpc)?

Btw, as in other w3c recommendations and also in ISO/TS 16701, where
suggest to use accessibility API granted  by O.S. (eg. MSAA, Java
Accessibility API).. in case of javascript, who set these API?
If we refer to the only javascript that could be defined as "standard"
(ECMAscript), ECMA has the role to define these guidelines.