    Da: "Richard Schwerdtfeger"<schwer@us.ibm.com>
    Inviato: 16/03/05 22.39.45
    A: "techlunch@smartgroups.com"<techlunch@smartgroups.com>, "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org"<w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org"<w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
    Oggetto: DHTML Accessibility - Fixing the JavaScript Accessibility Problem

    I want to take the opportunity to tell people about a session Becky Gibson
    and I are hosting at 8am, Saturday, at the Hilton during the CSUN
    conference. This session addresses one of the most important issues for
    accessibility on the web which is fixing what is perceived as an
    accessibility problem with JavaScript and yes we will show you a working
    solution which we believe should excite the audience by virtue of the fact
    that we are addressing not only the accessibility but the usability of web
    applications and how this solution is applicable to multiple desktop
    environments including Linux.

    Here is a brief introduction for those able to attend:

    JavaScript is found on over 50% of all web sites today, dramatically
    affecting the ability for persons with disabilities to access web content.
    An increasing number of web applications are utilizing JavaScript to mimic
    desktop widgets like menus, tree views, rich text fields and tab panels.
    Web developers are constantly innovating, and future applications will
    contain complex, interactive elements such as spreadsheets, calendars,
    organizational charts and beyond. Until now, no accessibility solution has
    existed for these advanced web applications -- even if a web developer
    wanted to do the right thing.

    Custom widgets are not a new problem. For years, desktop GUI frameworks
    have made it possible to develop accessible versions of custom widgets
    through several methodologies. First, GUI frameworks allow developers to
    make any widget focusable and tab navigable. Second, GUI frameworks provide
    accessibility APIs to facilitate interoperability with assistive
    technologies such as screen readers. These APIs allow a developer to
    provide the information that assistive technologies need -- such as the
    "who, what and where" of any custom widget that a user can interact with.

    IBM is leading an effort in the W3C to create a similar accessibility
    solution for JavaScript-based web applications. This session will show how
    the problem is being solved and how you will actually end up with a much
    more usable as well as accessible web application. Using standard XHTML
    technology in today's browsers it will show how you can create a rich
    desktop experience on a web page. We will be demoing a web page with a real
    menu and editable spreadsheet in the Firefox browser and show it being
    spoken by Window Eyes and magnified using the Windows magnifier. This
    session will cover the W3C road map for fixing this problem in the near
    term and the longer term plans to integrate more accessibility technology
    into W3C specifications. The end result will be a much more accessible and
    usable experience for all. For those wishing to deploy easy-to-use
    applications through your browser, this is a must see.

    Time and location: 8:00 AM, Saturday at the Marina room in the Hilton
    Hotel.

    http://www.csun.edu/cod/conf/2005/proceedings/2524.htm

    Rich Schwerdtfeger
    STSM, Software Group Accessibility Strategist/Master Inventor
    Emerging Internet Technologies
    Chair, IBM Accessibility Architecture Review  Board
    blog: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=441
    schwer@us.ibm.com, Phone: 512-838-4593,T/L: 678-4593

    "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
    I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.",
    Frost