RE: perhaps remove the requirement for validity completely!

Gez wrote:

We? I feel excluded. Has everyone agreed on this, or this an
inner-circle we?

I'm sorry you feel excluded.  The "we" here refers to participants in
the WCAG Working Group, and in particular those who were able to attend
the face to face meeting in Brussels last week.  As stated prior to that
meeting, any resolutions adopted at the face to face meeting are have
been sent to the WCAG mailing list for discussion, and will be reviewed
again at this Thursday's teleconference/meeting of the Working Group. If
participants in good standing accept the proposal, it will be included
in the new public Working Draft to be published on 30 June. If the
Working Group does not reach consensus, the 30 June draft will include
an Editorial Note describing the issues and requesting feedback from the
Web community.

The Working Group is grateful for the extended discussion of this issue
over the past several days, which has come both from participants in the
Working Group and from people in the Web community who are passionately
interested in and committed to making the Web more accessible.

The only "foregone conclusion" is that we will publish a new public
working draft on 30 June.
I recognize that this particular issue is extremely important.  However,
there are 12 other guidelines and more than 60 success criteria. The Web
community would be well served by responses to other guidelines and
success criteria in the proposed draft as well.

Thanks again for all the energy and thought devoted to this important
issue.

Johnto.

"Good design is accessible design."

Dr. John M. Slatin, Director