Re: Should validity be P1 or P2? (was RE: summary of resolutions from last 2 days)

Gez Lemon wrote:

>Thank you for your reply, Maurizio.

Thank you for the discussion.
It's important that the reasons of our decision are clear to everyone,
and possibily with high agreement.

>On 20/06/05, Maurizio Boscarol <maurizio@usabile.it> wrote:
>

>>I started making examples of little errors. A language attribute in a
>>script tag. An ampersand not escaped. A meta tag not closed. A paragraph
>>tag not closed among others.
>>

>Some of those would be valid in HTML; is your list just for XHTML?

I took real example from my life, 'cause I often help clients in
transition from html to xhtml templates. But they often use obsolete
CMS, so sometimes my effort vanishes.
This kind of problems are very common. But only the w3c's validator
seems to be aware of them... ;-)

>How
>would you like your browser to handle this?

I know that potential problems with ampersand exist. But most of the
time they don't come up. They aren't surely broken: they may be broken,
but it depends. But it depends aklso on what we all mean for level 1 of
priority...

>>What kind of accessbility problem do this kind of errors have?
>>

>They cause a problem in that the content may no longer be accessible.

I can't figure out in which situation the content of a non-closed
metatag or a <p> among other p-s, or an invalid attribute, result in
content not being accessible.
Apart from xml transformation and application/xhtml+xml mime type, I
mean. Any suggestion? :)