Re: Proposal for 4.2, Ensure that user interfaces are accessible

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, John M Slatin wrote:
> <proposal>
> The role, state and value of every element of the web content can be
> programmatically determined. Elements whose states and values can be
> changed via the user interface can also be changed programmatically.
> </proposal>
> As written, the last sentence says that *elements* whose state and
> values can be changed via the user interface can also be changed
> programmatically."

Correct. The important word here is "can": it must be possible for a
program such as an assistive technology to change the state of all user
interface components. Whatever can be changed via the user interface,
i.e., using an input device, must also be changeable via an API call or
other programmatic mechanism, otherwise the user agent/assistive
technology can't update the state of the application on behalf of the
user.

> I'm not sure I understand what's supposed to be programmatically
> changeable here.  As written, what gets changed programmatically are
> *elements* whose "state and values" have been changed via the user
> interface.

No. The requirement, rather, is that if something can be changed via the
user interface, it must also be possible to change it purely in software.

If you think this is ambiguous can you suggest better wording? I
personally don't find it ambiguous at all, if read carefully.