RE: [#925] mandatory H1 (Braille Formatting)

My take on H1,

There are two issues hear.

The first issue : is it important to use headers to represent the
logical structure of the page ?
The second issue: do headers need to start with an H1

My 2 cents

Issue one is exceedingly important. Having a good logical structure in a
document, and, having that structure correctly reflected in the mark up
helps people find there way around a document. It helps create
summaries, and schematics of a document, table of content, automatic
logical tabbing through content, and enables skimming for many use
groups such as the visibly impaired and people with learning
disabilities.

I would suggest that this is an important requirement.

The second issue is good idea only when it upholds the first issue.
In other words when the first header logically is a header one, then it
must be marked as such. However sometimes the logic of the page the
first header is not a header one (such as a menu bas comes first with a
heading two).  It should not be marked as a header one to fulfill an
arbitrate check.

In other words starting with a header one is a good machine test that
headers are being used in order and correctly. It is true a lot of the
time. But as it is not true all the time I would not put it as  a
requirement.

keep well