RE: [TECH] Possible CSS Technique for image-text

Hello Becky,

I understand what you're trying to do and I like the trick. An additional
benefit is that it helps to put all the design choices in the CSS instead of
the HTML, which leads to a better separation of concerns and helps
maintaining the website.

However, I see two problems with the technique. First, the audience you
create this technique for (high contrast users) tend to have large font
settings. I once had a student that could only read web pages with a sans
serif font of 60 pts or more. With font settings like these, your technique
will fail. One of the fundamental concepts of an accessible website to me is
that you do not make any assumptions about the user's settings. Any
technique that doesn't hold up under these conditions should be
reconsidered, I think.

Another problem with this technique is that I think it might be confusing
for developers who are new to accessibility and WCAG. It feels like you're
creating your own implementation of ALT-text. I think developers will find
it confusing to know what we recommend for images of text: use ALT-text or
use this CSS-trick.

What _are_ the problems high contrast users face with images of text with
ALT-text? It seems to me that turning the images off in your browser would
render the ALT-text in your preferred font size, which would make them
accessible for this group, or not? Or do you feel that this is too
cumbersome to ask of a high contrast user? The reason I ask is that it would
be a lot easier to understand for developers if the ALT-text technique
covers all the accessibility problems of images of text for all the
audiences.

Yvette Hoitink
Heritas, Enschede, the Netherlands
E-mail: y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl