RE: colors

Around color, we have two different problems as I understand it

1 - information that is CODED in color.    (e.g.  please correct the field
below that is shown in red.) or ( the numbers in green are to your credit,
the red must be addressed) or ( the items in the picture that are red must
be fixed).

And

2 - places where color is used to separate figure from background (e.g. red
letters on a green background).

The first one requires that some other form of coding is provided as well so
that the person does not need to understand color in order to understand
which items are marked as such-and-such a category.    Sometimes the color
coding can be deciphered from text formatting - but the coding may be lines
or embedded in a picture such that it is not easy to do this.     Also, many
people who are color blind do not know how to query the color coding of
text.

The second requires that contrast be maintained even if one does not know
for sure which cones are weak or inoperative.  Some are more common than
others, but the easiest way to avoid all this is to look at darkness - not
color.   If you use  dark color A   over light color B it doesn't matter
what the colors (hues) are.  They can in fact be the SAME color (hue).
Using a black and white test  is NOT to see how it would look to people with
no color perception.   It is an easy way to test for DARKNESS and LIGHTNESS
irrespective of color.    If a person doesn't have some cone - the black and
white test would not be an accurate picture of what they would see (unless
they had no cones).  But it would give you a pretty good test of darkness
and lightness.

We need however to

1 - come up with some specific tests

2 -  determine their affect / benefit on the different types of color
blindness.

I do not like the idea of just picking the highest frequency color blindness
though and addressing it in isolation - forgetting the rest.  Yes we want to
start there.  Yes we want to keep it simple.  But if we can keep it simple
and address the problem generically then we should.  I don't want to only
solve it for some unless we can show that it is a lot of work to address it
generically and only a little to solve it for most.

I think the darkness/lightness approach may help us here.

Thougths?

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.