RE: Summaries of issues around checkpoints 1.4 and 1.5

My guess is that the intent was to say something along the lines of
"represented in the Unicode *character set*".  Unicode/ISO 10646 is the
document character set for HTML 4.0 and XML, meaning that although any
encoding can be used, characters used must be found in Unicode to fit the
reference processing model. (See
http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-doc-charset.html )

Joe, I'd be quite interested in any specific information you have about
issues when representing Thai and Chinese in Unicode.  I'm not aware of any.

RI