RE: Jan 29 minutes

Thanks, Ben. Sounds like y'all got lots done after I signed off-- I
should do that more often:-)

I'm still concerned about our treatment of time-based testing.  At least
in the United States, some students with disabilities are legally
entitled to extend the time-limits to which students without
disabilities are subject.  For example, a student with a learning
disability might be legally entitled to 1.5 hours for a test that
classmates must complete in one hour or less.  It seems to me that there
has to be provision for *someone* to make that allowance-- if not the
student, then the instructor.

Course management systems like Blackboard and WebCT automatically pull
student data from the registrar's databases, and I had thought that the
registrar's database could be made to include data on students'
disabilities and the accommodations to which they are legally entitled.
However, I was told that there are legal barriers (in the US) to doing
this-- apprently disability status is one type of personal data that
cannot be shared among different units on campus.

Since this sort of time-limit on testing can't be automatically adjusted
for individuals, it seems that we need to pull time-based testing out as
a separate situation.

John

"Good design is accessible design."
Please note our new name and URL!