Re: Top-Posting And Guideline 3.1

On Jun 29, 2004, at 3:22 PM, Joe Clark wrote:
> People who don't understand E-mail, maybe. Ignoramuses and arrivistes,
> in
> other words. Do they count?
>
> Answers don't come after questions; we already saw the original
> posting;
> there are *twenty* years of experience of threaded electronic
> discussions
> using interleaved replies; and, to be frank, people who top-post are
> lazy-arse bastards with crappy mail programs. Why cater to them?

I love argumentation via namecalling.

Okay, are there any -serious- people out there who are going to chime
in on
top-posting, or are we just going to keep the level of discourse down in
the gutter?

(I know that Joe Clark followed up with several supposedly definitive
links,
including those he wrote, supporting his own decision.  But who wants to
read that far through a message if it starts out condemning people who
disagree as "lazy-arse bastards," "ignoramuses" and "arrivistes"?

There may be some legitimate points to be made by Joe Clark.  I hope
that
someday, someone else comes forward to make them, because I sure can't
take Clark seriously as long as he starts out his messages like this.
There's a reason that Clark is constantly frustrated with the W3C, and
it
has nothing to do with the W3C's processes, the WCAG working group's
composition or decision, or anything other than Joe Clark.

The problem is that Clark thinks it's okay to start off a message to
this
list with absurdly rude namecalling.  I honestly don't know why the
WCAG working group's leadership put up with this kind of nonsense.  He's
not -that- necessary, folks.  (Neither am I, of course.)

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                     http://kynn.com
Chief Technologist, Idyll Mountain                http://idyllmtn.com