RE: 1.1 suggestion

John Slatin wrote:
> But some sites and some users might benefit from designs that provide the
> descriptions without requiring an extra keypress or an additional
> decision.

Even suggesting this will, in my opinion, result in gems like the va.gov
site used to be (http://jimthatcher.com/whatnot.htm) and the way
http://archives.gov is today. Long long descriptions attached to invisible
gifs that you must listen to; maybe they should attach skip links at the top
of each description so you can skip to the next long descripiton (kidding).

And then John said,
> Sighted users get the images without having to *do*
> anything other than bring up the page. Why should a user who's blind, or
> a user who has trouble processing complex visual material,  have to do
> extra work to get equivalent content?

True John, but sighted users can and usually do ignore the images without
doing anything. If descriptions are added inline they cannot be ignored with
speech and I am surprsed you don't find that hugely important.

Jim
Accessibility, What Not to do: http://jimthatcher.com/whatnot.htm.
Web Accessibility Tutorial: http://jimthatcher.com/webcourse1.htm.

(Nothing here Joe!)