RE: 506 definition of structure

The current wording of 1.3 says:
<current>
Ensure that information, functionality, and structure are separable from
presentation.
</current>

I've never been quite comfortable with the idea that structure can be
"separated" from information, and a recent exchange about the use of CSS
to provide content complicates it still more.  So let me try to say what
I think we *mean* here, and if I get it right then we can try to come up
with a clear statement that will work as a guideline.

The proposed definition of structure says that structure includes all
the parts of a Web resource and the way it is organized.  The goal of
1.3, as I understand it, is to ensure that all the parts of the
resource, including information about the way the resource is organized
and the things that the resource may do (its functionality), are
available to the user even when the way that resource looks or sounds
changes.  The changes might be caused by a user substituting his or her
style sheet for the author's, or by switching to an alternate style
sheet supplied by the author, or by using a user agent the author had
never heard of...

So it's not that these things "are separable from presentation": we're
really saying that the presentation must always include all the parts of
the resource, including functionality and structure.

John

"Good design is accessible design."
Please note our new name and URL!
John Slatin, Ph.D.