RE: Definition of Contraction:

Hello Kerstin,

The contractions I brought up are part of the normal Dutch language, both
written and spoken. It's similar to "o'clock" in English. Nobody uses the
full forms anymore, many people won't even know what the full forms are
(especially people with a limited vocabulary). If I write in Dutch "such a
boy goes to school in the morning" I will write "zo'n jongen gaat 's morgens
naar school", even in the most formal writing I can think of.

Because these contractions are part of the normal Dutch language, both spell
checkers and grammar checkers will find them perfectly acceptable. The "zo
een jongen gaat des morgens naar school" form also passes both spell
checkers and grammar checkers but I think that is partly because grammar
checkers for Dutch aren't as well developed as grammar checkers for English
so they tend to miss a lot of errors. School teachers wouldn't allow the
non-contracted forms since they are no longer part of our language (just
like an English teacher wouldn't allow "he doth his homework" unless it's a
Shakespearean essay).

We can't require advanced linguistic knowledge from our authors, so I think
we can't ask them to provide the full versions for grammatical contractions
for which the full versions have either disappeared from the language or are
rarely used. This means we need to make a distinction between different
types of grammatical contractions.

I'm still looking forward to some examples where contractions cause
accessibility problems, by the way :-) Although I can imagine that there are
cases where contractions can be confusing, I can't think of an example
myself. If we want to include a success criteria about contractions, the
least we can do is find a few examples that cause accessibility problems and
discuss what the best way would be to solve them.

Yvette Hoitink
Heritas, Enschede, the Netherlands
E-mail: y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl
WWW: http://www.heritas.nl