RE: [techs] Acronyms and abbreviations

Ben wrote:

<snip>
At the same time, I think we need to be thinking about a solution that
gives
authors and users more options by working toward increasing
responsibility for
user agents to make the user aware that conditional content is present
each time
an element containing it is encountered. Not sure what to propose at the
moment,
</snip:

This is actually a very tricky proposition, too.  To take one example--
that doesn't involve acronym or abbreviation--the current version of
JAWS (5.0) announces mouseovers and clickable mouseovers by default.  It
can be nice to know that there's something there, but it can also be
crazy-making on pages where there are dozens of clickable mouseovers.  I
have a very good verbal memory, but the constant refrain of "mouseover"
and "clickable mouseover" drives everything else from my head.

I think this is user-configurable-- but now I can't find a setting that
will let me turn it off...

At any rate, the point is that there's a tradeoff between providing
information about every element on the screen and generating Too Much
Information, i.e., noise. This may be one of those things where we
should actively encourage developers to conduct user testing, because
the line between meaningful information and noise will move depending on
the size and complexity of the page, the number of acronyms or other
elements with additional information, etc.

John

"Good design is accessible design."

Dr. John M. Slatin, Director
Accessibility Institute