  From: Jim Thatcher
  To: 'WAI WCAG List'
  Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 1:06 PM
  Subject: [techs] "Rules" for data tables.

  At the end of today's call I said I agreed with the idea of the

  TH Rule (TH technique): TH shall be used for all data tables to identify heading cells and TH shall not be used in Layout Tables. (By the way, if you don't like the way the headings look in TH's, use style get them to look the way you want.)

  I want to add:

  The Summary Rule: Use a non-empty summary attribute on all data tables to summarize the table structure and use summary="" on all layout tables.

  There is a huge difference between these two rules. I contend (with no data) that most data tables are simple tables with headings in row 1 and column 1 - the "and" is important. The TH rule does not help screen readers identify headings in this case because they read from row one and column one anyway. On the other hand, the summary can be immensely helpful presenting a quick view that a sighted user probably obtains by glancing at the table.

  Note the summary can and should present information that will probably be obvious to a person looking at the table - in contrast the Caption/Title identifies the purpose of the table and may not be obvious to someone looking at the table - it also adds to the visual experience.  This suggests the

  Caption Recommendation: Use the caption element to specify the purpose of the data table and do not use the caption element on layout tables.

  The Headers/Id Rule: If there are data cells in a data table whose heading information does not lie in the same row and column as the data cell, then use the header/id markup to identify the heading information for all data cells of the table.

  The Scope Rule: Use the scope attribute to specify whether a headings applies to a row or column when that information is ambiguous, such as being at a corner of the table or inside the table.

  I have no idea what the axis rule/recommendation is!

  Jim

  Accessibility, What Not to do: http://jimthatcher.com/whatnot.htm.

  Web Accessibility Tutorial: http://jimthatcher.com/webcourse1.htm.