From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Jim Thatcher
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 5:26 PM
To: 'lisa seeman'; 'Mike Barta'; 'WAI-GL'
Subject: RE: [wcag2] Layout tables

> Does a professional site without tables for layout truly look and
> behave as professionally as on that uses tables.

I believe it is a lot more likely to find a pure CSS page with improper
reading order than it is to find page with table layout with improper
reading order. The reason is simple; there is a natural relationship
between table cells in the code and reading order. There is no such
relationship for div's.

It is very difficult (for us mere mortals) to get CSS-only layout to
work the way we want. It is also easy to get the reading order wrong.

There is a very good reason why (almost) all major commercial pages use
tables for layout - it works in a completely predictable way and the
results are consistent across browsers.

Jim
Accessibility, What Not to do: http://jimthatcher.com/whatnot.htm.
Web Accessibility Tutorial: http://jimthatcher.com/webcourse1.htm.