RE: HTML techniques - "Terse" substitutes for header labels (no blocker)

Perhaps for Italians the word "concise" is very clear, because it exists in
Italian as well (in a different variant). For the Germanic languages I know
besides English (Dutch, German), there is no variant of "concise", which
makes it a more difficult word for us. I also took French in high school,
which has "concis". I had to look this up in a dictionary since that is not
part of our normal high school vocabulary and I didn't know it.

My estimate is that at most half the people with a Master's degree in the
Netherlands would know the English word "concise". I don't think the average
person with a high school degree in the Netherlands would know it (even
though English is mandatory for almost everyone). The average Dutchmen will
have had about 6-8 years of English lessons when leaving high school (which
is a lot more than in many non-English speaking countries). I would guess
that the vocabulary of a Dutch kid leaving high school is about the same as
that of a 10-year-old native speaker. Would you use "terse" or "concise" to
explain something to the 10-year-old kid next door?

We have to be very careful when choosing which words to use. For each
non-trivial word, we have to balance the number of people who appreciate the
more expressive power of that word against the people who will not
understand it. For "terse" and "concise", I think the balance tips the wrong
way so we should avoid them.

Roberto Castaldo and Roberto Scano, what do you think of "compact"? Does
Italian have "compacto" or something?

Ciao,

Yvette Hoitink
CEO Heritas, Enschede, The Netherlands