Action item: Used cases described

Likely scenarios for using Gateway and Techniques doc  for WCAG 2.0

  I reproduce my earlier list with  a few additions:
  In a nutshell, users will want to navigate from the WCAG doc or the techniques doc to the
  explanatory  content for a checkpoint   to gain a clearer understanding of the issues
  involved.
  The level of details sought will depend on their motivation level and keenness to implement
  accessibility guidelines for their Web content.
  1. Developers wanting to implement WCAG 2.0 or those testing for compliance
  In all likelihood they will consider core checkpoints first and then regard extended
  checkpoints.
  This also includes those who want to selectively implement some extended checkpoints.
  They should be able to conveniently identify Gateway and Techniques doc  content relating to
  core checkpoints and extended checkpoints.
  2. Developers /  managers debating on  development methodologies  might want to check out
  techniques offered by one technology versus another technology for complying with   specific
  required success criteria / checkpoint
  3. Someone who is concerned with accessibility of  certain kind of content.  For example:
  - in some organizations, there are individual(s)dedicated to designing Web based forms.
  - students in a course on Web accessibility who have been assigned  to demonstrate the
  accessibility  of specifictypes of content.
   As I suggested during the (Sept 17, 2003) conference, a section on how to make navigation
  accessible,  how to make tables accessible, how to make forms accessible,how to make a graph
  accessible, what do I need to check if I am using frames / scripting / colors / multimedia
  etc  might be the segments along with the techniques might get accessed and not merely in
  the order of  the checkpoints / required success criteria.
  4. An individual who   has decided to follow a particular technology path will want to focus
  on the specific techniques suggested for various checkpoints in the relevant technology doc
  and not concern himself with other technology docs.
  5. Those considering   switching from one technology to another
  - one who wants to switch to XML
  - Consider one who uses Flash / some animation that is not accessible or is difficult to
  make accessible and wants to  use SVG/SMIL etc to  present the content.
  - One who is using PDF based fillable forms  and wants to consider W3C technology so that it
  integrates well with remaining Web content without requiring users to download/instal
  plug-ins etc.
  6. Those who are pursuing WCAG 1.0 and are now checking how WCAG 2 will affect them. They
  mmight use the checkpoint matching document, WCAG 1 and WCAG 2 for  comparison and navigate
  to the gateway doc/techniques/WCAG1.0 to understand the differences.
  7.   Those concerned mainly with policy level issues will not delve into specific
  technologies. They might prefer switching back and forth between the checkpoint and details
  in the WCAG doc and the explanation in the Gateway doc.
  Example:
  - Individuals responsible for framing Web access standards / policies for their organization
  / state
  - researchers
  - for preparing edu and outreach related  prese
  * * *
  Sailesh Panchang
  Deque Systems, Reston VA Tel 703-225-0380 ext 105