RE: Survey: Emoticons for screen readers

To answer the question about the purpose of this survey - we want to find
out if emoticons pose significant access barriers or not. If they do, we
need to write techniques about them. If they are merely annoying and
unprofessional, we don't need techniques (they'd be outside the
accessibility scope). It is a spin-off of a discussion of ASCII art, which,
though less commonly used these days, can be quite problematic if a screen
reader encounteres it and starts reading a whole bunch of nonsense. We
wanted to see if emoticons fell into that category or if, as short as they
are, they're not such a big problem.

Michael