From: Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG [mailto:rscano@iwa-italy.org]
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 6:44 am
To: WCAG List
Cc: chris.hofstader@verizon.net
Subject: ContextHelp vs. Title...

I wanna to point the attention about this:

"Context Sensitive Help Attribute for HTML Introduced for Web Authors.
Web/HTML authors may now use the newly defined ContextHelp attribute for
form input or other elements. JAWS will tell the user when a field has
such extra help whenever it exists. You can choose to review the help
using speech or Braille with INSERT+F1 or ignore it. The GetObjectHelp
script function has been updated to support this attribute which we will
be sending to the WAI as a recommended option to consider as a standard.

We will be updating our HTML Challenge to include examples of this as
well as other areas of our Web Content. GetObjectHelp also returns the
acc_help for MSAA and the description for Java objects.

For a demonstration of how this can be used, use the following HTML
source:
<P><LABEL for=Mname >Mother's Name: </LABEL><BR><INPUT id=Mname
name=Mname ContextHelp="For this field make sure you enter your mother's
maiden name."></P>"

Instead of ContextHelp why they don't propose the "title" attribute that
is valid for the <input> ag[1] ? ContextHelp is not defined by
HTML/XHTML so it is not possible to use it...

Roberto Scano
---
[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#h-17.4