RE: [166] Organize documents so they may be read without style sheets

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Joe Clark wrote:

>>I agree that the requirements should not be fashioned around any
>>paarticular authoring tool. The requirement is to avoid doing
>>something which happens to be stupid, but also happens to be
>>perfectly valid according to all the
>>relevant specifications except WCAG, and was even done by a tool
>>(not just a coupe of perverse authors).
>
>I agree in principle, but it will be difficult for WAI, as opposed to
>some other group at W3C, to impose semantically-correct Web authoring
>rather than syntactically-correct authoring (e.g., <h1> vs.

"Au contraire, mon ami". Actually I think that WCAG is one of the groups
which is relatively successful in getting people to use semantically-correct
code, and not just syntactically correct code. In terms of authoring I
actually think that the Authoring Tools group has more impact, but they rely
on WCAG for a lot of basic specification.

>>This is not perfect either - the default stylesheet for SVG doesn't
>>work for any useful images.
>
>Anyone care to explain that?

SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) has a default style sheet to ensure that all
valid SVG produces some image even when no presentation information has been
given. The default stylsheet provides a silhouette - which is generally not
useful.

>>And just to remind Joe, who seems to identify me with WAI,
>
>Uh, no. Whenever possible, when a contributor to this esteemed list
>makes a statement that WAI (read well: WAI) is apt to simply accept
>and run with, I admonish WAI (nota bene: WAI) not to do so. In those
>cases, I respond to an author's remarks *to* the list and *to* WAI.

OK, I hadn't understood that before. (It seems you should admonish the WCAG
group actually, but that's a detail one might miss when working in the
group).

>>I don't work for WAI...
>
>Yeah, we know, despite Charles's return address being charles@w3.org

I work for W3C. WAI is a part of W3C. All people who work for IBM's
accessibility unit work for IBM. People who work for IBM generally don't work
for, nor represent, IBM's accessibility unit.