From: Mathew.Mirabella [mailto:Mathew.Mirabella@team.telstra.com]
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2001 3:43 PM
To: w3c-wai-gl
Subject: form controls: acesskey shortcuts.

All.

A further query and item for discussion.

Excluding the provision of a separate page with a list of accesskeys,
how do
you highlight the fact that keyboard accesskey shortcuts are available
without making dramatic changes to a page.

An example:

      <label for="username">Username:</label> <input name="username"
id="username" type="text" value="" size="30" tabindex="1" accesskey="u">

I have seen one way to indicate to users that there is a keyboard
shortcut
combination.  Place some text on the page explaining the alt-combination
shortcuts, and also underline the respective character in the text of
the
label.  What are your thoughts on the following example of underlining
characters.

      ...<span style="text-decoration: underline;>U</span>sername...

This is, of course, visual, and not descriptive to a screen reader user.
So
there are problems with doing this without non-visual equivalents.  It
would
also be a problem with links, as link text is supposed to be underlined.
Maybe you could use a bolded character instead of an underlined
character?

What do you all think?

Cheers.

mat.