Re: [CSS-TECHS] issue 001225

At 9:32 PM -0500 11/26/01, Joe Clark wrote:
>The list items are still marked up inside <li> and </li>. It may be
>inconvenient to lose the start value in no-stylesheet viewing, but
>the structure remains.

The problem is when someone refers to "this must be in compliance
with checkpoint 4" or the like, and the only way that the number 4
is produced is via CSS styling of the <li>.  So we need to caution
about this type of possibility.

>Also, could I just say here that it is high time we stopped
>pretending there are very many devices out there that cannot
>understand stylesheets? It is absurd to hamstring 95% of Web-browser
>users (it's more like 98%) because Lynx and a few non-Web devices do
>not understand CSS.

I think this relates to the discussion about minimum user requirements.

We need to be careful about saying "understand CSS" -- CSS support is
widespread but irregular, meaning that things like fonts and colors
are nearly universally supported, but generated content or aural
CSS is not.

It's reasonable to assume CSS support for simple font effects; not
reasoanble to assume generated content, properly positioned blocks,
etc.

Perhaps it's safest to assume a CSS1 and not CSS2 compliant browser.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/