Re: Clear and simple writing

"Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Jim Ley wrote:
>   The proposition that I can just disable images, leads me to another
area
>   which I haven't seen addressed with this alternate content - what are
the
>   alt etc. attributes?  if it's a text explanation of how this
illustration
>   is trying to get the idea across then I will probably struggle just
as
>   much - ie "A man dropping a piece of paper on to the floor with a
large
>   red cross through it" - would still make be more confusing than just
the
>   paragraphs "don't drop litter" instruction.
>
> CMN
> I think this is the difference between "alt text" and a longdesc - the
> appropriate text replacement for the image is "don't drop litter" (nor
> rubbish ;-) and the description  of what the icon is should be a
longdesc.

But that makes repetition, with images disabled and the alternative
content visible (which is the normal idea, longdesc on a link, title as a
popup...) then I get "Don't drop litter, Don't drop litter" - ok that may
well be useful to re-enforce the instruction not to drop rubbish  but
repetition of every idea would soon get annoying.

Jim.