Re: Problems with OTACS-2

Al,

     Downloading and installing an SVG viewer isn't an obstacle .... either
the user or the caretaker/teacher/parent will assist in downloading and
installation as needed. As I said most of those who need/want or prefer
illustrations do not necessarily have needs related to the format.

         So far, I just haven't seen much interest in converting to this
format, and I don't think that requiring it, or even just hinting it will
save you a few minutes in setting an alt text, are much encouragement to
someone who is comfortable with existing graphic tools .... Plus SVG can't
handle photos, and I've been told it isn't likely to in the near future.
SVG will be wonderful someday, but until then lets recognize that as bad as
raster images are to some, they are a currently-available ticket to dinner
for many others.

         Yes, illustrations open up more channels to communication than
plain text, whether presented on paper or as a lecture. So does sound, in
it's variety of possibilities ... Any modern teacher will tell you that the
greater number of ways you present the information, the greater is the
chance that you will reach all your students, even if all don't learn from
the first lesson ...

         All users will benefit from the variety in web content .... And
yes, supply an alt tag!  Supplying an alt tag for images is trivial
compared to multi-media requirements under 1.1 ....  Perhaps that is why
the examples of 1.1 for multi-media content on non-regulated pages is
typically absent???

                                                 Anne

At 10:16 AM 10/28/01 -0500, Al Gilman wrote:
>AG::  I think I have heard a pretty consistent message from the group saying
>
>a) Yes, we need illustrations to protect this group, but
>b) No, you can't say "this illustration is _for the use of_ this group"
>without
>having coverage complying with 1.1 for other users.

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.geocities.com/apembert45