Re: FW: Revision to Web Accessibility Policy

At 6:44 AM -0400 2001/10/23, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>         In any field, "standards" imposed from the outside are
>suspect. It doesn't take a great deal of intelligence to compare
>WCAG 1 and WCAG 2 and see that WCAG 1 is badly flawed. WCAG 2 isn't
>ready for prime time yet. That leaves only the 508 as a standard to
>follow.

I probably should publish "Kynn's Standard For What You Should Really
Do" based on WCAG 1, if there's really such a need for an alternative.
Isn't this what Joe Clark is basically going to do in his book?

I think it's fair to label web developers as "ignorant" if they don't
know or think about web accessibility.  "Ignorant" means they don't,
well, know or think about web accessibility.  If they _do_ know about it
but choose not to care, they're either heartless or just don't want to
do work, so I feel okay in labeling those people as "lazy."

Whether or not teachers in the 80s were lazy or ignorant has no real
bearing on whether web designers were lazy or ignorant.

Standards imposed from the outside will always suck.  That is why we need
to realized that our checkpoint-fetish will only do so much good in the
world, and that's why as long as WAI exist I will always have a job
going around explaining principles and common sense instead of mindless
checking.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>