Re: Normative and Non-Normative - Why?

At 10:22 AM -0400 2001/10/16, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>These words are commonly used in standards specifications, such as W3C
>recommendations. Obviously WCAG has had a wider audience than most W3C
>Recommendations, and maybe we should try to clarify these words or use
>different language.

Real web developers rarely if ever understand the meaning of the term
"normative" nor necessarily the distinction being drawn.  This concept,
in my opinion, is not useful to us as we try to produce a usable
spec.  I'd like to see the justification for designating parts of our
document as "we really mean it" and others as "we might not really mean
it."  What useful purpose could that possibly serve?

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison