Re: First Stab at Set of Principles for 'Minimum Conformance'

At 2:07 PM +0000 2001/10/25, Jim Ley wrote:
>  > How do you test that the text (alt) applies to the image?
>
>It's a property of the IMG, therefore you know that it applies to the
>image (simply by definition).  There are no mechanisms in current HTML,
>for saying "this is some alternative content/ an illustration for this
>element" - so it's impossible for a tool to know what an image on a page
>"applies to".

So HTML is an incredibly bad format for expressing accessible content
-- but we need to make sure that we don't simply use that as an excuse
to continue the problem.

Maybe we need to send a strongly worded opinion to the XHTML working
group that draws attention to this problem.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison