Re: First Stab at Set of Principles for 'Minimum Conformance'

Jim,

         If you can test for alt text, you can also test for the graphic
the alt text applies to. That is all the testing that is needed to insure
that images are provided ...

         It is no more difficult to collect a set of images that speak
across cultural lines than it is to collect a set of words that speak
across cultural lines .... We cannot hold images to a higher standard than
we do words.

         So it is both easy to include images and trivially easy to test
for their presence.  But the most important reason to include these is that
perhaps the largest numbers of disabled folks will be affected by the
inclusion or omission of these guidelines.

         On your search for the examples we looked at last spring, it was
probably in April because I discussed the discussions with a friend who
visited in mid-May, but it could have been late March or early May as well.
I think Wendy started a new thread with it, but can't remember the subject
line. The challenge was then, for some topic in advanced physics, and on
her first set of hits she got page after page with good illustration on a
topic that was said to be too deep for illustrations. Not sure that will
help your search.

         Over the past two years I've put in a lot of time searching for
sites that can be used by students who are pre-readers to emerging readers
.... and I've seen an increase in the number of sites that are illustrated.
It may be that education will provide the leadership in this matter instead
of the WAI. That will be most unfortunate because the needs of disabled
adults are not the needs of children. Adults, even those whose intellect in
measured in children's ages, need adult subjects and information. The
kiddie stuff is OK for a start, but would YOU want to be limited to a diet
of Disney and Bob the Builder? (And I don't want to get into how well
illustrated XXX adult fare is by comparison!)

                                                 Anne

At 05:30 PM 10/24/01 +0000, Jim Ley wrote:
>Indeed, I have no argument against that, my argument is purely that it is
>not possible to provide effective examples or more importantly
>testability of this category so it can't be normative.  I also believe
>it's not possible to produce a single set of illustrations which work
>across the whole (English speaking even) world, which is another problem.
>As this is also Alternative content, it should be provided in a manner
>which the display of can be controlled by the user.  (what is the alt
>text of these images - is it not the text which is already on the page?)
>There needs to be some HTML mechanisms for providing multimedia
>alternative content before this can be normative I feel.
>
> > > I can't find this in the archives - do you have a
> > > link?
> >
> > No, I don't save mail that far back. Can't imagine why
> > it isn't archived.
>
>I'm sure it is, my inefficient searching is obviously not turning it
>up...
>
>Jim.

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com