Re: FW: Revision to Web Accessibility Policy

At 10:32 AM 10/17/2001 , Graham Oliver wrote:
>I find it interesting that an institution that has
>such a strong reason to make a web site accessible
>should 'choose' this level of conformance.
>One of the things that I have been thinking hard about
>is 'If people want to do accessibility what is in it
>for them to aim for anything higher than the 'lowest
>level'?'

In short, it's because we haven't given them a reasonable
choice in WCAG 1.0.  Which means that they look elsewhere
for "reasonable" and conclude (incorrectly) that it's the
508 technical standards.

The sad situation described here is basically a combination
of two things -- web developers being lazy and ignorant
(and hating outside imposition of standards), and the
perception that 508 is a valid alternative to a WCAG-based
policy.  Both concepts are harmful to accessibility.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison