Re: Normative and Non-Normative - Why?

Graham,

         Others will correct my perception, but basically "normative"
refers to those things which have a clear dividing line between what is and
isn't accessible. Non-normative are those things for which a range of
accessibility is necessary and for which no one wants to commit to a clear
dividing line because it will automatically dis-include some whose web use
depends on those things.

         Normative presumes that if your site passes some machine test, it
is considered conformant even tho the meat of accessibility hasn't been
met. Non-normative means a human has to look at the site and decide if it
complies.

                                         Anne