[ATTN: Chairs] relay service and telephone number in forms

At 11:50 PM 2001-10-08 , Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
>FYI
>
>We received this at Trace -- but it makes an interesting point that
>might be picked up in techniques.

[many forms don't create the opportunity to give proper "call by relay"
instructions.]

AG::  I think we should take a run at getting this issue dealt with in the
"XML
Types" publication.  I can think of at least three ways to handle it there.
There is one workaround available to the consumer at present which is to use
the "other remarks" free text field to say "the telephone number given above
must be called in TTY/HCO mode.  Call the relay services [available at
800-.....] and tell the operator you wish to place an HCO call to <the number
above>"

Until people are using XForms with standard XML Types the shortest path to
daylight is probably an "always include a 'remarks' field" content guideline
and training the consumers to use it as above.

Although a better model is a checkbox or select-from-enumeration modifier for
the phone number, even if it is as broad as a "follow special instructions in
remarks" checkbox that keeps auto-dialers from just calling in voice mode.

Does GL wish to detail an individual to follow up on this issue?  Do you want
PF to recruit one?

Al

<<http://trace.wisc.edu/>http://trace.wisc.edu/>