Re: Format for addressing grade-level content........

Kynn,

         It's tough to put a reading level on single words or phrases that
are not part of a large body of sentences and paragraphs, because much of
the complexity of reading is in the whole, rather than the parts, of the
passage. There is some attempt to "grade level" certain sets of words - the
ones found to occur most often in print .... are generally words taught and
experienced at the lower grade levels. The two such word list are the Dolch
Word List and the Fry List of Most Frequently Used Words. You cannot use
these word lists to screen words and say that all words not the list are
suspect for a lower level, they may not be.

                                         Anne

At 11:13 AM 7/30/01 -0400, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>At 12:23 PM -0400 2001/7/29, Al Gilman wrote:
>>There is a third approach where one passes a grade level parameter to a Reef
>>style view synthesis processor and for example there are explicit
>>hyperlinks to
>>explanatory resources attached to tough words and sentences for an adapted,
>>appropriate definition of 'tough.'
>
>Al, considering how to implement this (although I'm not sure it's the
>"best" way, but it may be "better" than what we have now, which is the
>Edapta -- er, Reef -- goal), I'm wondering if you know of any way to
>algorithmically determine the "grade level" for particular words and/or
>phrases.  In other words how do I figure out what's "tough"?  Any
>direction (books or research to look up) you could provide would be
>helpful!
>
>(Are we veering into NLP territory here?)
>
>--Kynn
>
>--
>Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
>Technical Developer Liaison
>Reef North America
>Accessibility - W3C - Integrator Network
>Tel +1 949-567-7006
>BUSINESS IS DYNAMIC. TAKE CONTROL.
>http://www.reef.com

Anne Pemberton