Re: Format for addressing grade-level content........

At 12:23 PM -0400 2001/7/29, Al Gilman wrote:
>There is a third approach where one passes a grade level parameter to a Reef
>style view synthesis processor and for example there are explicit
>hyperlinks to
>explanatory resources attached to tough words and sentences for an adapted,
>appropriate definition of 'tough.'

Al, considering how to implement this (although I'm not sure it's the
"best" way, but it may be "better" than what we have now, which is the
Edapta -- er, Reef -- goal), I'm wondering if you know of any way to
algorithmically determine the "grade level" for particular words and/or
phrases.  In other words how do I figure out what's "tough"?  Any
direction (books or research to look up) you could provide would be
helpful!

(Are we veering into NLP territory here?)

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison