Re: ALT vs. TITLE usage in WAI logo example

Kynn,
    Perhaps the onus is on the user agents/browsers, to communicate their
features to their customers, rather than on the users, who may have varying
levels of learning capacity ...

	To put a new spin on the discussion, adding or leaving off brackets could
be a "presentation" issue, the brackets added by the browsers used by
screen readers or not as the user chooses in the browser options. The page
author would not add the brackets. Perhaps users would prefer to be told
"image" before the alt text is read. If I remember correctly, Lynx
automatically adds the brackets to the alt text ... If it is
"presentation", it needs to be optional to the user.

						Anne

At 03:18 PM 12/29/00 -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>At 02:58 PM 12/29/2000, Marti wrote:
>>My vote: leave off the brackets. - like the >> in forwarded messages they
>>are mostly annoying.  From conversations on various blind mailing lists not
>>a lot of people know how to modify the punctuation level for their screen
>>reader.
>
>That sounds like a user agent problem, if people aren't willing to learn
>how to use their software properly, though.  If software exists and people
>are simply ignorant of how to use it, then the onus is on the users and not
>the content creators/interface programmers.
>
>--Kynn

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/Homeschooling