Re: Question on abbreviations (fwd)

At 07:13 PM 12/29/00 +1100, Jason White wrote:
>The real solution here is to add a link on the web site to
>subject-specific RDF metadata which defines all of the common acronyms and
>abbreviations used in the particular discipline or in relation to the
>specific topic under consideration. The user agent can then load the
>dictionary (which, needless to say, may be maintained by a third party) as
>required. At a higher level, one could associate subject-specific RDF
>labels (useful to search engines) with pronunciation dictionaries, etc.,
>obviating the need for direct linking from the web site itself or from its
>metadata.

If this means that Granny can sit down at darling grandson's computer, find
a site with crocheting directions to make him a vest, and, when she forgets
what 2 dc means, can click on the site chosen by the content provider as
having the correct set of acronyms, and it would return dc = "double
crochet" instead of dc = "Dublin Core" such as her grandson may have it
defined on his own user dictionary.... That could be a decent solution.

Even if a third party site is used for definition, I think the content
providers are going to have to go back and mark up the acronyms anyway, and
metadata for the content site is going to have to reference the correct
definition source. Or not ... is there a way around this?

				Anne

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/Homeschooling