Re: Indexing

Marti,

	I share your concerns about going into "good design" instead of remaining
within accessibility, so it is important that the metadata that we ask
authors to include on their pages, be limited to that metadata which will
be used by human disabled users.

	Comparing metadata to signs is a good example. It isn't enough to merely
"reserve" parking for the handicapped, but ya gotta put signs (and
reminders of fines for misuse) before you have fulfilled the law, so the
handicapped drivers can find 'em.

						Anne

At 07:57 AM 12/24/00 -0500, Marti wrote:
>While a lot of good points have been made here, I have an uncomfortable
>feeling that we may be going to far.  That is, stepping beyond accessibility
>into 'good design'.  Although it is certainly true that the two are tightly
>linked, I feel we need to draw a line somewhere or we might as well be
>developing 'web design guidelines' instead of accessibility guidelines.
>In my usual, relate it to the physical world -
> The ADA tells you to put up signs indicating the location of a handicap
>access to a building, it does not tell you to put up a sign with your
>company name and a description of what it does.
> How a company (web site) chooses to identify and describe itself would seem
>to be a 'good business practice' issue not an accessibility issue.
>Marti

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/Homeschooling