Re: Checkpoint on testability

At 09:01 AM 12/22/2000 , Leonard R. Kasday wrote:
>here it is
>
>checkpoint x.3.  When alternative versions of content are created, create the altenatives via automatic verifiable means.
>Example: If images are text are offered, create images and alt text via a program, and provide means for testers to verify that the program works correctly.  For example, create the image and alt text via a server-side script (php, asp) that calls an image generator with a text string, and make the server-side script viewable to the tester (normally, users don't see the server side scripts; they only see the result of server operations theron).  Thus the tester can verify that the automatic means are indeed simply converting the input string to text and creating alt text that matches the string.

This could prevent difficulties in that not all graphical formats
allow for automatic generation.

I also can't understand the need for access to the server-side script
(which is a potential security risk), nor the apparent need to do this
all on the fly, which imposes a large burden on the web site server
system due to system resource consumption.

This reads like a technique, by the way (which may be intentional),
but I still can't see the point of the _guideline_ if the only effect is
to make it easier for the tester (debatable, anyway, as just a source
code dump of a server script may be useless to most) and not actually
increase access by any people with disabilities.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                    http://kynn.com/
Director of Accessibility, Edapta               http://www.edapta.com/