RE: Checkpoint on testability

At 01:50 PM 12/22/00 -0800, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>miss whole areas of "accessibility" which aren't machine testable

Hence my remark: "...being able to determine if a site will work for your
circumstances."

Being "testable" has nothing to do with whether the testing must be
"automatable". I want to know if the author has asserted conformance to
such things as "reading level appropriate to audience" and "use of
multimedia to enhance presentations", etc. We are on the same train here.
Inclusion of testability is a way to enable a teacher to determine if the
site has a means to determine if it follows any particular guideline that's
of interest to the potential user.

The question is if this "meta-accessibility" is appropriately called for in
the guidelines. Kynn is on the side of "it would be nice but wouldn't
increase accessibility" and I'm on the side that "if you can't get at it to
test (this includes subjective tests claimed to be made by the author),
then it suffers in the accessibility department. In other words, in
addition to having appropriate illustrations it must be able to allow you
to find out that it claims (or has) such illustrations. It matters, even
(or especially) for conforming sites to assert their conformance as well as
provide a way to test the assertions thereto.

The confusion engendered by the apparent elaborate insertions called for is
that they will be a trivial exercise for the author - just a checkbox
saying "I have included illustrations" or "this material has been
determined to be useful for those reading at a first grade level" or
whatever. The underlying machine-readable gobbledygook won't get your
attention any more than the header associated with your email like your
last one: