RE: local copies of WAI logo

Is there a w3c policy which simply allows or doesn't allow people to make
local copies?   If so, lets follow it.  (I couldn't find it however).

If it's up to each w3c group to decide its own policy (which would surprise
me), and we need to debate this, my two cents would be:

1. If we change the logo in a purely cosmetic way, with no change in
meaning, it doesn't matter if people are using the old one, so copies can
be allowed.

2. If we change both the logo's meaning along with its appearance, then
it's not appropriate to have it change without the page owner being able to
control it, so local copies should actually be recommended.

I also support the point made by Kynn about the practical problems of
referring to images on w3c servers.  And thanks William for  pointing that
copies are OK for the validator.

So I move we post a small errata that local copies be encouraged.

Len

--
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple

Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/

The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/