Re: Errata for WCAG 1.0 checkpoint 3.1 (i.e. the text in images issue)

William,

	You are right. I took no umbrage from your comments. I do feel that this
issue brings to question whether or not the guideline to NOT put text on
navigational buttons is a matter of accessibility or of "pureness" in html
design ...

							Anne

At 07:18 PM 12/14/00 -0800, William Loughborough wrote:
>Meanwhile if I want to kid Anne about whether arrows require more teaching
>than "next" I will do so and she hasn't expressed any particular outrage or
>taken any special exception to my behavior. The "proof" as to which (just
>text, just arrow, text with picture of arrow, arrow with pop-up "tool tip",
>or none of the above) is "better" is probably not even determinable.
>Different strokes, and all that. To me a mouse is completely absurd
>compared to a touch screen but the option isn't practically available.
>
>If it comes time to vote, I think an arrow with the word "next" on it is
>OK. I think an arrow with a legend saying what's next is OK. I think a
>plain arrow is OK. I think the word "next" by itself is OK. I think a ">"
>is OK. I get used to the previously described icon (representing what in a
>previous context took an image of a telephone with the word "winsock" under
>it to represent) dialing the modem, or whatever it dials.
>
>That's why I mostly don't vote, because to me it doesn't make a lot of
>difference. Bush/Gore is like icon/text - in the end one just adapts.
>
>In answer to the topmost question I guess I don't think "next" on arrows is
>"necessary" in the sense that water is necessary. I'm certainly not saying
>it's "required" and find that notion incredible,
>
>So if it's a three-part multiple choice question, I pick "what?". Do I win?
>(the penalty for taking me to task is that you have to delete two copies of
>this like I did because you neglected to realize that addressing it to me
>and to GL gave me a "two delete" task. I spared Wendy and Anne that torture).
>
>--
>Love.
>                 ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE

Anne L. Pemberton