From: Leonard R. Kasday [mailto:kasday@acm.org]
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 6:31 PM
To: Charles McCathieNevile
Cc: Bailey, Bruce; 'WAI-GL'; 'seeman@netvision.net.il'
Subject: RE: Textual Images vs. Styled Text

  Thanks for the support Charles but my problem is that even as we speak I'm
evaluating sites that use textual images--it's my job (well, one of my
jobs)-- and I have to pronounce whether they are double A compliant.  For
example, Pennsylvania has decreed full WCAG compliance for state internet
sites.  I'm talking to the state webmasters next week.  Pennsylvania is
covered with textual images and I've got to tell them if they are P2
compliant.  For example

  http://papower.state.pa.us/PAPower/

  I can't talk subtle philosophy to this audience.  I have to point to each
of those textual image links and say

  <strong>

       YES

       or

       NO

  </strong>

  As it is, I simply read what I see as the plain meaning of WCAG 1.0 and
say "no"

  But given the controversy around this, and all the big time sites that use
textual images and claim, or wish to claim, double or triple A,  I'd really
like to see explicit consensus from this group.  And no matter what wording
we come up with, I wouldn't be convinced that we have true conensus until we
all look at some pages with textual links and have consensus on those actual
examples.

  I realize we want to get on with WCAG 2.0 but if we want people to use
WCAG 1.0 these sorts of issues have to be addressed now IMO.

  Len