Re: Proposal for guideline 1

Charles,
	I heartily agree we should revisit Guideline 1, and put all forms of
content on equal footing. Visual Graphical, Visual Text, Auditory
Instrumental, Auditory Text, and Tactual, both touchy-feely, and braille.
The web is so much more than text, and is likely to grow outward to new
applications than inward to text.

					Anne

At 11:55 AM 11/28/00 -0500, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>I suggest that we make guideline 1 about providing equivalent content. In
>particular:
>
>that we do not restrict the requirement for synchronisation to particular
>media. 1.2 and 1.3 could be combined to require that time-sensitive
>equivalents are synchronised
>
>3.7 - supplement text with multimedia - should be part of guideline 1. Text
>is not, in my opinion, a magic format for all content. For animated musicals
>it is often rather inferior, but where it is the only format that a user can
>process it is a lot better than a simple denial of access.
>
>some rationale...
>
>Metadata used to associate or provide alternatives are not text. It may be
>possible to produce text from them, but it is also possible to use it to link
>images and audio, with never a word of text in between. There are cases where
>doing this is important for a lot of people with disabilities.
>
>The requirement for text as a special case tends to leave out people who are
>used to reading non-text forms, either graphically presented information,
>sign languages, and other methods.
>
>charles
>
>--
>Charles McCathieNevile    mailto:charles@w3.org    phone: +61 (0) 409 134 136
>W3C Web Accessibility Initiative                      http://www.w3.org/WAI
>Location: I-cubed, 110 Victoria Street, Carlton VIC 3053, Australia
>September - November 2000:
>W3C INRIA, 2004 Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex,
France

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/Homeschooling