RE: Text on banners

Lisa,

	Unless I am missing something, the first example given doesn't meet the
goal. You say line art should be SVG, but if the reason for this guideline
and this example is to separate all text from graphics, there is no reason
for this example. I've never seen text used in line art, so why is it
important for this element to be "scalable"? Using *any* graphic as line
art makes it possible to provide an alt tag, so what is the point of SVG?

	Otherwise, your wording is excellent and explains the "why" this guideline
should be followed.

				Anne

PS: Don't get too enthusiastic about banning banner ads. Those who use them
aren't standing in line waiting for word from WAI on how to do their job,
and it's at best uncertain if they will be willing to accommodate. Seems
there is a small group of businesses whose business it is to collect
(create?) and distribute banner ads to pages. A guideline that purports to
put people out of business won't fly.

At 10:36 AM 11/22/00 +0200, Lisa Seeman wrote:
>Oh all right, I'll try again
>
>3.1 When an appropriate markup language exists AND WILL WORK, use markup
>rather than images to convey information TO ALLOW TEXT SCALABILITY.
>[Priority 2]   For example, use SVG for line art, MathML to mark up
>mathematical equations, and CSS for text-oriented special effects. You may
>not present relevant textual content
>as an image, unless the text has a primarily graphical function, and the
>effect cannot be achieved with markup,
>(as in the case of some for logos and limited accent elements) provided that
>you provide a textual equivalent to the content contained in the image.

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/Homeschooling
apembert@crosslink.net